For the past 15 years, I have been involved in a large variety of short-term statistical consulting projects in addition to my academic work. I find this type of work enjoyable in a different sort of way than academic projects - consulting work tends to be more contained, it usually has the challenge of more urgent deadlines, and it often requires creative thinking in order to produce real-time results. Below I list a sampling of projects in which I have been involved over the years. Please consult my curriculum vitae for my educational background, publications, and presentations.
If you would like to discuss the possibility of hiring me for a short-term consult, please feel free to contact me by e-mail at , or by phone at (781) 687-2875.
Areas of statistical expertise:
- Applied statistics and statistical modeling
- Bayesian statistics
- Methods for addressing missing data
- Statistical methods for games and sports
- Statistical applications to health research
A sampling of my consulting projects:
General applied statistics:
- Developed forecasting models for predicting pesticide sales from precipitation data
- Analyzed airbag fatality data (with systematically missing data) to compare automobile safety in different makes and models
- Served as consulting expert for the U.S. Department of Justice on case statistically analyzing potential steering of subprime mortgages towards underserved populations.
- Assessed whether insurance claims sampled for audit in a case involving potential mishandling of claims payouts was representative of the claims population. Wrote opinions and provided testimony in the case.
- Provided written opinions and delivered testimony in three different cases involving exam cheating.
- Developed statistical algorithm to predict success of product launches - joint work with the Boston University Communications Research Center
- Devised algorithms for company specializing in online personalization solutions to predict consumer product preference
- Advised the Psychiatry section of the Ontario Medical Association on ongoing statistical issues arising in the development of a resource-based fee schedule
- Developed methods for detecting anomalous medical records at nursing facitilies
- Lectured on the essentials of statistics for surgical residents
- Taught 3-day course on Bayesian statistics for advanced undergraduate students
- Taught multi-day courses on advanced statistical modeling with the S-Plus statistical package
- Licensed the Glicko-2 rating system for rating competitors in head-to-head competition
- Developed algorithms for rating players for solitaire games on gaming web site